1. General discussion about oxidation and reduction, electron transfer vs atom transfer, oxidation no.
2. Concept of electrochemistry, Definition: Electrochemical cell, electrodes, salt bridge and its function etc. Battery; types of cell: Electrolytic cell vs Galvanic cell; concentration cell vs chemical cell, How to construct a voltaic cell?
3. Electrical dimensions and unit, Mechanism of electrolysis (Grotthuss vs Faraday), Theory of electrolytic dissociation, Ostwald dilution law, Faraday’s laws of electrolysis, Significance of faraday’s laws, Specific Conductance, Equivalent conductance, Equivalent conductance at infinite dilution, Application of ion conductance, Kohlrausch law, Outline of Debye Huckel theory, Nernst equation and Concept of free energy.
4. Definition: Electrode potential, Std. potential and Formal potential; Physical significance of electrode potential.
5. Types of electrodes: (i) metal electrode, advantage of amalgam electrode; (ii) non-metal electrode, e.g. hydrogen gas electrode, glassy carbon electrode. What is glassy carbon electrode? What is the difference between glassy carbon and graphite electrode?
6. Factors affecting the electrode potential: (i) effect of concentration, (ii) effect of pH e.g. formation of insoluble hydroxide and (iii) effect of precipitation and complexation.
7. Application of electrode potential; Periodic trend of the reduction potential; Pourbaix diagram.
8. Electroanalytical techniques: Potentiometry, Coulometry, Voltammetry and Amperometry.
9. How to measure electrode potential?; 3 electrode system: working electrode, reference electrode and counter electrode; comparison between three and two electrode system; Linear sweep voltammetry, Cyclic voltammetry (CV), Differential pulse voltammetry (DPV) etc.
10. Bulk electrolysis.