- Intermolecular forces of attraction: van der Waals forces, ion-dipole, dipole-dipole and hydrogen bonding
- Homolytic and heterolytic bond fission.
- Hybridization- Bonding
- Electron displacements: Inductive, electromeric, resonance, hyperconjugation effect
- Reaction intermediate- their shape and stability
- a. carbocations,
- b. carbanions,
- c. free radicals,
- d. carbenes,
- e. benzynes
- Acidity and basicity of organic molecules: Alkanes/Alkenes, Alcohols/Phenols/Carboxylic acids, Amines pKa, pKb.
- Electrophiles and nucleophiles. Nucleophilicity and Basicity
- Aromaticity and Tautomerism
- Molecular chirality and Isomerism
- a. Cycloalkanes (C3 to C8): Relative stability, Baeyer strain theory and Sachse Mohr theory.
- b. Conformations and Conformational analysis: Ethane, n-butane, ethane derivatives, cyclohexane, monosubstituted and disubstituted cyclohexanes and their relative stabilities.
- Stereochemistry (Structural- and Stereo-isomerism)
- Molecular representations: Newman, Sawhorse, Wedge & Dash, Fischer projections and their inter conversions.
- Geometrical isomerism in unsaturated and cyclic systems: cis–trans and, syn-anti isomerism, E/Z notations. Geometrical isomerism in dienes- Isolated and conjugated systems, determination of configurations.
- Chirality and optical isomerism: Configurational isomers. Molecules with one or two chiral centres- constitutionally symmetrical and unsymmetrical molecules; Enantiomers and diastereomers. Optical activity, disymmetry, meso compounds, racemic modifications and methods of their resolution; stereochemical nomenclature: erythro/threo, D/L and R/S nomenclature in acyclic systems. Measurement of optical activity: specific rotation.
- Morrison, Robert Thornton & Boyd, Robert Neilson Organic Chemistry, Dorling Kindersley (India) Pvt. Ltd. (Pearson Education), Seventh Edition, 2005.
- Finar, I. L. Organic Chemistry (Volume 1), Dorling Kindersley (India) Pvt. Ltd. (Pearson Education), Sixth Edition, 2003.
- Finar, I. L. Organic Chemistry (Volume 2: Stereochemistry and the Chemistry of Natural Products), Dorling Kindersley (India) Pvt. Ltd. (Pearson Education). Fifth Edition, 1975.
- Graham Solomons, T.W., Craig B. Fryhle Organic Chemistry, Ninth edition
- Eliel, E. L. & Wilen, S. H. Stereochemistry of Organic Compounds; First Edition, Wiley: London, 1994.
- Clayden, Greeves Warren and Wothers, Organic Chemistry, Oxford University Press.
- Oxford Chemistry Primers, Introduction to Organic Chemistry, Oxford University Press.
Prerequisite: Chemical Principles (CHY111).