Dr. Dhar is a physical inorganic chemist. The primary motivations of his research group is to develop new heterogeneous and homogeneous catalyst for C-H and O-H activation using first row transition metals, and hence minimizing the use of rare metals as catalysts in synthetic chemistry. At present, he is also working on phosphorus, sulphur and selenium doped graphitic material as a new generation carbocatalyst. He is also studying the photoredox catalyzed organic transformation. He has published more than 38 research articles in peer reviewed scientific journals. In 2018, CSIR, India sanctioned the project entitled "Development of Fe(III)complexes of amido-quinoline tetradentate acyclic ligands: Catalysts for C-H activation and Epoxidation".
Inorganic chemistry, advance physical inorganic chemistry, catalysis etc.
1. First row transition metal based heterogeneous and homogeneous oxidation catalyst development for various organic transformations.
2. Hetero atom doped carbocatalyst for organic transformation.
3. Development of hybrid catalyst for photochemical water splitting, photochemical organic transformation etc.
4. Photoredox catalyzed organic transformation.
5. Toxic metal ion separation.
6. Flow cell kinetics for heterogeneous reactions.
Publications (from SNU):
15. Hydrothermally synthesized Sulphur doped graphite as supercapacitor electrode materials, S. Maity, D. Banerjee, G. Bhattacharya, S. S. Roy*, B. B. Dhar*, ACS Appl. Nano Mater. 2022, just accepted.
14. Visible light mediated thiolation of substituted 1,4-Napthoquinones using Eosin Y as photoredox catalyst, B. Nagar, B. B. Dhar*, J. Org. Chem., 2022, just accepted.
13. Peroxide activation by Selenium-doped graphite, S. Maity, B. B. Dhar*, Catal. Sci. Technol., 2022, DOI: 10.1039/D1CY02224E
12. Visible-light mediated synthesis of substituted phenazine and phenoxazinone using Eosin Y as photoredox catalyst, A. Dhara, S. Maity, B. B. Dhar*, Org. Let., 2021, 23, 3269-3273.
11. Selective U(VI) removal using phosphorous-doped graphitic carbon, S. Maity, S. Bajpai, B. B. Dhar*, J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 2021, 9, 104690.
10. Phosphorous-doped graphitic material as a solid acid catalyst for microwave-assisted synthesis of β-Ketoenamines and Baeyer–Villiger oxidation, S. Maity, F. Ram, B. B. Dhar*, ACS Omega, 2020, 5, 26, 15962-15972.
9. Aerobic oxidative amidation of alkynes using titanium oxide encapsulated cuprous iodide nanoparticles (CuI@TiO2), P. K. Dutta; B. B. Dhar, S. Sen; New. J. Chem., 2018, 42, 12062-12071.
8. Solid supported nano structured Cu-catalyst for solvent/ligand free C2 amination of azoles, S. Sen; P. K. Dutta; D. Saha; B. B. Dhar, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2018, 657-665.
7. Understanding alloy structure and composition in sinter-resistant AgPd@SiO2 encapsulated catalysts and their effect on catalytic properties, S. Mondal, T. Rajesh, B. B. Dhar, M. Snellman, L. D. Francis, R. N. Devi, New. J. Chem., 2017, 47, 14652-14658.
6. Selective C-H bond oxidation catalyzed by Fe-bTAML complex: mechanistic implications, M. Ghosh, S. Pattanayak, B. B. Dhar, K. K. Singh, C. Panda, S. Sen Gupta, Inorg. Chem., 2017, 56, 10852-10860.
5. Solvent free, palladium catalyzed highly facile synthesis of diaryl disulphides from aryl thiol, P. K. Dutta, A. Majumder, S. Dutta, B. B. Dhar, P. Munshi, S. Sen, Tetra. Lett., 2017, 58, 527-530.
4. Electrochemical formation of FeV(O and mechanism of its reaction with water O-O Bond Formation, S. Pattanayak, D. Roy Chowdhury, B. Garai, K. K. Singh, A. Paul*, B. B. Dhar*, S. Sen Gupta*, Chem. A Euro. J., 2017, 23, 3414-3424.
3. Mechanism of alcohol oxidation by FeV(O) at room temperature, M. Ghosh, Y. L. K. Nikhil, B. B. Dhar, S. Sen Gupta, Inorg. Chem., 2015, 54, 11792-11798.
2. Mechanism of oxygen atom transfer from FeV(O) to olefins at room temperature, K. K. Singh, M. K. Tiwari, B. B. Dhar, K. Vanka, S. S. Gupta, Inorg. Chem., 2015, 54, 6112-6121.
1. Tuning the reactivity of FeV(O) toward C-H bonds at room temperature: effect of water, K. K. Singh, M. K. Tiwari, M. Ghosh, C. Panda, A. Weitz, M. P. Hendrich, B. B. Dhar, K. Vanka, S. Sen Gupta, Inorg. Chem., 2015, 54, 1535-1542.
1. DST, sponsored project entitled “Cleavage of organophosphate pesticide by highly charged metal centre as catalyst”. SERB/F/3945/2013-14 dated 18.09.2013. Status: completed (June, 2016).
2. CSIR, India has sanctioned “Development of Fe(III)complexes of amido-quinoline tetradentate acyclic ligands: Catalysts for C-H activation and Epoxidation”. CSIR sanction letter no. 80(0086)/17/EMR-II dated 14.05.2018. Status: completed (May, 2021).